Join Date: May 2008
At Tech Molded Plastics, the person responsible for scheduling of production is the "Production Control Manager".
The position reports to the Operations Manager/ President (if lack of operations manager)
Customer focus is the key function of this position. Schedules samplings and production runs to comply with customer delivery requirements and documents activities (including invoicing to customer) in accurate and timely manner in appropriate computer data systems. Interfacing with appropriate personnel for scheduling of equipment, the documentation of these activities for accurate reporting and evaluation of trends. Manage purchase orders, contract review, and customer interaction. Maintain 100% on time delivery and effective EDI utilization. Monitors monthly financial/job costing and helps initiate cost improvements.
Essential job functions:
85% - Customer Service, Scheduling and Order Entry –
• Create and present sampling schedule in weekly debug meetings and timely distribution to appropriate personnel. Work with Operations Manager to create a schedule which results in efficient machine utilization in concert with production run schedule. (Interact with Plastics Division Manager)
• Receives and enters all Purchase Orders from customers in DTR system. Orders may be received by fax, mail, verbally, or EDI.
• Creates Work Orders for changeovers, (as needed), per customer requests and requirements.
• Insures that runs are prioritized for on time delivery, raw material is available as schedules are created.
• Creates estimates for customers regarding sampling and requotes on existing piece price and short production runs. Understands profit policies of the company and implements same in quoting activities.
• Schedule production runs to insure parts are produced and delivered on time. Works with Division Manager to schedule production orders for maximum machine utilization and in concert with sampling schedule.
• Monitors current part inventory, updates production board daily, insures that transportation time is considered in lead time for on-time delivery.
• Preventive maintenance. Using DTR track press hours and schedule preventive maintenance with Maintenance Manager
• Adjust quantity in physical inventory menu to reflect physical quantity on production request vs. shift reported quantity.
• Coordinates tool retrievals and paperwork
• Creates a daily duties list to review for the press floor for scheduling.
5% - Supervision –
• Directly supervises employees in Production Control. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include: interviewing, hiring, and training employees.
• Implement performance appraisals yearly and enforce company policy.
• Plan, assign, and direct work appraising performance, and rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems as needed.
Practice continuous improvement and sets goals accordingly
10% - Safety –
• Meet OSHA and DER compliance.
• Ensure safe working habits
• Ensure all employees are wearing their safety equipment
• Performs accident investigations
Implement corrective actions if an accident would occur.
I have included only the "meat" of the responsibilities above.
If I were creating a new position, I would want to have input from all of the interfacing department heads to make certain that everyone's expectations were covered in the creation of the job description and subsequent skills needed.
I hope this helps.