Join Date: Oct 2011
Position purpose/core responsibilities
Responsible for all aspects of quality, on-time delivery and cost control performance of the injection molding department. Oversees material processing, injection molding and tooling sections. Key emphasis is on efficient utilization of existing or newly developed process capabilities using sound management principles.
• Ensure the adherence of process control procedures, operating instructions and all quality control instructions. Prime responsibility is to safely manufacture a quality product with minimal scrap or rework while meeting customer specifications.
• Provides technical leadership to develop and engineer product, process and material capability to meet customer requirements. Innovatively provide state of the art process capability to attract new products and conversion of competitive material to plastics technology.
• Drives the use of SIM molding techniques at all levels of the Molding Department.
• Focuses on Continuous Quality Improvement (CQI) to maintain and improve process control and minimize scrap and/or rework generated in molding. Recognize that waste elimination is paramount.
• Assumes development and adherence to all Vaupell Midwest quality certifications.
• Facilitates and coordinates product development work between the molding department, sales, engineering, quality and assembly departments.
• Ensures that targeted cycle times are attained and product cost budget is met.
• Plans, organizes, staffs and supervises shift operations in accordance with production schedules in the most cost effective manner. Maintains total awareness of policies, procedures and assumes compliance by assigned employees.
• Responsible for the safe manufacturing of products emphasizing the areas of supervision, maintaining a safe work environment and accident prevention. Ensures legal requirements and company safety policies are enforced.
• Develops, trains and involves employees in maintaining and improving departmental efficiency, productivity, quality, safety, cooperation and morale.
• Organizes department with competent and productive personnel at minimum staffing levels. Maintains employee attendance such that adequate resources exist to meet required production schedules. Personally interviews and/or monitors employee hiring practices.
• Submits Capital Equipment Requests with cost justifications.
• Develops expertise in polymer processing technology, product design, manufacturing capabilities and works to integrate them with state-of-the-art process control (SPC) capability. Self-development, educational seminars, college courses or industry participation are essential.
• Participates with committees, special project teams, management operations committee or other groups to optimize departmental performance.
• Takes leadership role in acting as business and technical mentor to subordinates, peers or other Vaupell employees.
• Works with other department and operations management personnel to develop processes, procedures and policies to improve molding operations.
Other duties as assigned
Must have plastic injection-molding experience with at least 5 years department supervision or management. Background in ISO strongly preferred. Must have strong leadership capability to lead and direct people to established goals and desired results. Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills to work with a diverse group of individuals inside and outside the molding department. Lean Manufacturing Practices background a plus. Process/Production monitoring systems a plus.