Plastic Industry

Mold Building Services
Routsis Training
AMCO Polymers
Aurora Plastics
5 Folds
Royal Technologies
Screen Tech Designs
ID additives
RJG, Inc.
Mueller Prost
Precision Color Compounds
M Holland
Tooling Docs

MAPP Plastics Discussion Forum

The MAPP Plastic Industry Discussion Forum allows members to rapidly communicate with each other. Post both questions and answers to questions that other MAPP members have about any industry topic from material and process issues to R&E Tax Credits and other business issues.

Username:  Password:  
Remember Me
Forgot Your Password?
Posted:  03 Jul 2008 22:00
We are trying to get some information on smart scopes. As far as brand names, dealers, accuracy levels, used and new price ranges, sizes, capabilities, ECT.

Posted:  08 Jul 2008 11:38
I am not familiar with Smart Scopes?  Could you provide a little information as to what they are and how they help your business.

Matt Hlavin
Posted:  08 Jul 2008 17:07
I am not familiar with smart scopes either.
Posted:  09 Jul 2008 02:55
SmartScope is a brand name. There are others, but I don't remember the names. We have two of them and use them for automating SPC mainly. Basically, they are a programable toolmakers microscope (including Z axis). Very quick and accurate. We expect to purchase another in the next 12 months and locate on production floor.

Mark Stephens
Posted:  09 Jul 2008 05:11
Mark, could you please provide details on the brands you have already purchased and what you plan on purchasing in the next 12 months?  This would be helpful as many plastics manufacturing business leaders are in the market to make their first purchases.

Any details you could provide will be useful to all!  Thanks for using the MAPP Forum!

Troy Nix
Posted:  31 Jul 2008 20:03
OGP(Optical Gauging Products)is the maker of the Smartscopes.  You can check out the different models and capabilities at  We currently use a MicroVu Video Measuring system, which is about the same thing.  You can purchase these systems with video measuring capabilities only or with an integrated touch probe that works like a CMM.  I would contact a company close to you that does calibration, they probably either sell this type of equipment or can point you in the right direction.  The company websites will probably point you to a local dealer as well. We have a 12x12 work surface with integrated touch probe that was $52,000.

Mark Murphy
PRD, Inc.
Posted:  07 Aug 2008 20:47
We currently have a Mitutoyo CMM with a 24" x 24" work surface.  We mold pharmaceutical closures and we utilize it to measure high cavitation tools with fixtures we have designed.  It has multiple probe capabilities to measure inside, outside, heights and under threads(x, y, and z axis).  We have had it for 5 years and have been very pleased with its accuracy and reliability.  It is used 24 / 7 in our facility.  We have developed programs and fixtures that remain constant on four different shifts.  I do not know prices currently.

Dennis Kelley
© 2014 Manufacturers Association of Plastics Processors